Evergreen is the county seat and the economic center of Conecuh County. Conecuh County features an Industrial Park as well as an airport facility for small navy planes at Middleton Field located approximately 8 miles west of Evergreen. Lyeffion is a rural community located in Conecuh County in South Alabama and ten miles north of Evergreen with a population of approximately 1,800. Lyeffion is a low socioeconomic area with a student population that includes economically disadvantaged and minority students. Lyeffion Jr. High School began in the 1920's when three small schools consolidated.
Lyeffion Junior High School
Lyeffion Junior High School serves grade levels Pre-K through 9th grade.
The staff at Lyeffion School consists of one principal, one part-time assistant principal, nine full time classroom teachers, and a full time physical education teacher and special education teacher. There are three itinerant teachers who travel to Lyeffion to provide services to seventh through ninth grade. The assistant principal also provides instruction to seventh through ninth grade. The school also has a part-time media specialist, school counselor, nurse, band teacher, reading specialist, and speech teacher. Additional personnel includes one secretary, one paraprofessional, two CNP workers, one custodian, and three bus drivers.
Lyeffion Junior High School is part of the district-wide initiative of Conecuh County School System:
Mission: The mission of CCS is to inspire and prepare all students to be lifelong learners and responsible citizens of the world by engaging them in a meaningful and rigorous curriculum that provides opportunities for students to reach their fullest potential. Whatever It Takes!
Vision: CCS's vision is to ReThink, ReIgnite, ReDesign, and Transform Lives!
The mission of Lyeffion Jr. High School is to educate all students to their fullest potential in a safe and caring environment. Our goal is for children to emerge from our school with a positive sense of self, an intact love of learning, and the skills necessary to continue their education.
- All students can learn and should be given the opportunity to develop to their fullest potential intellectually, socially, and emotionally.
- Students learn best when they are actively engaged in the learning process.
- Positive relationships and mutual respect between students and staff enhances students' self-esteem.
- High expectations increase student performance.
- Building and maintaining a safe and physically attractive environment enhances student achievement.
- Home, students, staff, and the community should work together in the education process.
- The student will demonstrate comprehension skills at or above the grade level in communication skills (reading, writing, listening, and speaking), mathematics, science, and social studies processes.
- The student will demonstrate the ability to make appropriate decisions and use higher order thinking skills and to solve problems.
- Students will develop a love for learning and pride in their work, self-discipline, and a regard for the uniqueness of others.
- The student will develop technology skills and computer literacy appropriate to grade level.
- In May of 2018, Lyeffion was recognized by the State of Alabama as a Bicentennial School!